Not long ago, I wrote an article about Chinese Internet slang 666 , 5555, 888, and other numbers, and it unexpectedly receieved a large numbers of views and upvotes in the forum Quora. So today, I’d like to summarize Chinese Internet language on the basis of its categories.
Chinese Internet language is an informal language first appeared on the net to express ideas to events. With the characteristic of simplification, Chinese Internet slang is widely adopted and used in everyday life. It includes content relating to all aspects of life, social, mass media, economic, and political etc. According to their features, Chinese Internet language can be divided into five categories.
1. Chinese Internet Slang Numbers
We have talked about Chinese Internet slang numbers in another article what does 666 mean in Chinese, so here we pass this part directly. If you want to know more information about Chinese web number terms, you can go to check that article.
2. Latin Alphabet Abbreviations
To express what we mean in Chinese language, we will use Latin alphabet abbreviations in upper case letters in our daily life as well.
- SB: shǎbī (傻逼), means “idiot”, commonly used as an insult.
- BT: biàn tài (变态), means “abnormal”, usually used to criticize someone’s anomalous action. For example, a man likes to peep girls, and you can use BT to describe him.
- MM: mèimèi (美眉), means “(beautiful) girl”.
- GG: gēge (哥哥), refers to “boy, male friend, or guy”.
- NB: niúbī (牛逼), means “excellent or bold”, usually used to praise what someone have done.
- GF: the abbreviation of girlfriend, means nǚ pénɡ you (女朋友).
- BF: the abbreviation of boyfriend, means nán pénɡ you (男朋友).
- YY: yì yín (意淫), refers to “fantasizing, sexual thoughts”.
- MD: mā de (妈的), similar to “damn, fuck”.
- TMD: tā mā de (他妈的), means “damn, fuck” as well.
- TNND: tā niánɡ niánɡ de (他娘娘的), means “damn, fuck” as well.
- TT: tào tào (套套), means “condom”.
- JJ: jī jī (鸡鸡), means “penis”.
3. Chinese Abbreviations
- 造: the abbreviation of Chinese “知道(zhī dào)”, means “know”.
- 不造: the abbreviation of Chinese “不知道(bù zhī dào)”, means “don’t know”.
- 造不造: short for Chinese “知不知道(nǐ zhī bu zhī dào)”, means “do you know?”.
- 宣你: short for “喜欢你 (xǐ huɑn nǐ)”, means “like you”.
- 酱紫: short for “这样子(zhè yànɡ zi)”, means “be like this”.
- 表: short for “不要 (bú yào)”, means “don’t”.
4. New Chinese Network Language
- 屌丝: diǎo sī. means “loser”.
- 拉拉: lā lā. means “lesbian”.
- 小鲜肉: xiǎo xiān ròu, refers to “young, cute and handsome boy, usually 12-25 years old”.
- 女神: nǚ shén, refers to beautiful girls.
- 女汉子: nǚ hàn zi, refers to women who possess traditionally masculine personality traits.
- 萝莉: luó lì, usually used to describe girls who are cute and look very small.
- 单身狗: dān shēn ɡǒu, commonly to describe those who have no boyfriend or girlfriend.
- 脱单: tuō dān, means “to get rid of single status”.
- 狗带: ɡǒu dài, transliteration of “go die”, means “dead”.
- 撩妹: liáo mèi, means “to flirt with girls”.
- 老司机: lǎo sī jī, refers to someone who is very experienced or good at a certain field.
- 蓝瘦香菇: lán shòu xiānɡ ɡū. This network slang is related to “nán shòu xiǎnɡ kū”, which means “feel very sad and want to cry”.
- 马甲: mǎ jiǎ. If someone registers more than two accounts in a forum, the accounts (except for most famous account) is named 马甲.
- 潜水: qián shuǐ, refers to someone who joins a group or forum seldom or never publish content.
- 菜鸟: cài niǎo, means “newbie”.
- 刷屏: shuā pínɡ, refers to a section on the Internet is swamped by posts from a same ID.
- 沙发: shā fā, refers to the place of the first comment of a certain post.
- 驴友: lǘ yǒu, means “backpacker” and refers to those who gather together to travel around.
- 3Q: means “thank you”.
- 波霸: bō bà, refers to female who have big breasts.
- 备胎: bèi tāi, means “spare wheel” and refers to those who are used to replace the person originally fixed for something. For example, a girl has a boyfriend but she still flirts with other boys. Then these boys are her 备胎.
- 大姨妈: dà yí mā, means “menstrual period”.
- 渣男: zhā nán, usually used to describe a man who has girlfriend or wife has an affair with others.
- 宅男: zhái nán, refers to men who tend to stay at home instead of hanging out.
- 宅女: zhái nǚ, similar to 宅男, but used to describe women who always stay at home.
- 腐女: fǔ nǚ, refers to those girls who are interested in the works about boy’s love.
- 秒杀: miǎo shā. It means killing someone in the game or getting something in the panic buying quickly.
- 房奴: fánɡ nú, refers to those who need to save money to repay the loan after purchasing house.
- 剩女: shènɡ nǚ, means leftover women who are already 30 years old.
- 月光族: yuè ɡuānɡ zú, refers to those who spend almost all of his/her earnings.
5. Chinese Contractions
- 白富美: bái fù měi, refers to girls who are young, pretty, rich and fair-skin.
- 矮穷矬: ǎi qiónɡ cuó, refers to men who are short, ugly and poor.
- 亲: qīn, the abbreviation of “dear”.
- 人艰不拆: rén jiān bù chāi, means “Life is already hard , so don’t expose the truth”.
- 累觉不爱: lèi jué bù ài, means “too tired to love”.
- 不明觉厉: bù mínɡ jué lì, means that you think something interesting or someone awesome although you have no idea about this person or what happened.
- 喜大普奔: xǐ dà pǔ bēn, means “The news is so exhilarating that everyone is celebrating and spreading it to the rest of the world”.